this is the second Atari Duke Nukem 3D release. I just bored again so here
you are some bugfix release. See CHANGES for details.
- 320x200, 256 colours
- VGA or RGB
- variable sound settings
- full mouse support (see bellow)
- TOS/MagiC/FreeMiNT friendly (see bellow again ;)
1. This game will run with and only with Duke Nukem Atomic Edition
1.4/1.5. That means no shareware, too! It's true I hacked some version
for myself when I haven't got AE but this isn't this case! So beware
and look for right version.
2. There's no way how to generate configuration file on Atari. You have
couple of options:
- use some .cfg from "cfg" directory (rename to duke3d.cfg + copy to
- run setup.exe and pray it will run on your WinXP/whatever machine and
copy duke3d.cfg to your Atari harddisk
- run DOSBox at your Linux/BSD/Mac, run setup.exe and copy duke3d.cfg
to your Atari harddisk
Select Sound Blaster for sounds, no music, keys as you want and the
rest leave untouched.
Btw SDL port (at icculus.org) has the possibility of setting keys
directly in game menu. And yes, I'm lazy to find it in source & use it
3. The source code is ONE BIG MESS. Guys at 3D Realms were maybe masters
in originality, playability etc but they've had no coding rules,
conventions... portability? Forget it. And every port (SDL and Amiga)
just increased this mess... The result is total-spaghetti code where
nobody knows what's called first. Practical result is at some places
(i.e. file not found error) hangs the system since some init/uninit
stuff isn't called somewhere from game core. I don't say it's unfixable
but ... it's really boring to search in that mess, believe me.
4. Since 3D Realms really liked MSDOS and its case insensitive filenames,
you have to be really carefull on case sensitive systems (i.e.
FreeMiNT). The game looks for these files:
5. Auto-ESC feature ;) Yeah, mighty foot disappeared but from time to time
you'll get menu screen during the play. It has something to do with
keyboard handler but it seems it's in original game core and I really
don't want to play with this shit.. all at all, you can save your game
then ;) Another cool feature is malfunction of keys for choosing
weapon sometimes... try some clicks on mouse, keyboard and prey it will
work :) If not, save, quit and start... sorry... not my mistake :/ But
it's relatively safe to use keyboard only.
PC game and sources: 3D Realms
The rest: Miro Kropacek (me :)
Miro Kropacek aka MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
email@example.com (my old address firstname.lastname@example.org is working, too
but please use this one instead)